Become a Volunteer
We are looking for a variety of volunteers who have an interest in foreign languages and who enjoy children!
" I would love to see all schools with this type of program to teach children Spanish! It was a great experience volunteering with Hooray for Languages and thank you for giving me the opportunity to teach Spanish to children at Countryside."
-- Taylena, Hooray for Languages Volunteer
Hooray for Languages offers weekly 30-minute classes at different times throughout the year. Choose the location and schedule that work for you. We work with child care centers, preschools, libraries, summer camps, and community centers.
- Parents, Professionals, & Retired Individuals Are you looking to get more involved in the community? Do you enjoy children?
- Students & Educational Institutions Want to help young children learn foreign languages? Are you a college student or high school student? Or, are you from an educational institution that encourages community involvement?
- Businesses & Organizations Does your business or organization value the importance of learning foreign languages at an early age? Collaborate with us to provide volunteer opportunities to employees!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- We are currently seeking volunteers with a basic knowledge of Spanish for our 2017-2018 sessions.
- Weekly classes are 30-minutes, and each session is approximately eight weeks.
As a volunteer...
- You will receive an orientation/training program prior to starting your session.
- You will receive all curriculum and teaching material.
- You will have the ability to choose the location and schedule that works for you, based on our current programs offerings.
- You may co-teach with a friend or colleague if you'd like someone else to join you.
- There will be at least one classroom teacher/teacher's assistant/organization representative present at all times.
- Check out our Volunteer Flyer!
- You enjoy children and like to laugh!
- You know Spanish at least on a basic level, i.e., you have had at least one semester of high school Spanish (it doesn't matter when!) or you are a native speaker. We aim to offer programs that include additional languages in the future.
- You are dependable, responsible, and able to commit to teaching a weekly session, which runs for eight weeks. Co-teaching is also an option.
- You have a reliable form of transportation that allows you to arrive at a teaching location approximately 5-10 minutes prior to the class beginning.
- You are at least sixteen years of age.
- You are willing to complete paperwork for a background check and any other requirements for working with children.
- You have never been charged with violence or any type of charge involving a child or young person.
- You are willing to attend a volunteer orientation and sit in on a current class.
How to Apply
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete a Volunteer Application. Questions? Contact Anne Nichelson at email@example.com. Or, contact us and mention your interest in volunteering.
Application Deadlines - We recommend applying as soon as you're interested in volunteering since we review applications as they come in.
- Fall: July 31st - extended until August 15th
- Winter: November 20th
- Spring: January 25th
- Summer: April 26th
Sessions - Eight-week programs run throughout the year. Session time frames are approximate and may change slightly due to holidays, a facility’s preference, or a volunteer’s availability.
- Fall: Mid-September - Mid-November
- Winter: Mid-January - Mid-March
- Spring: Late-March - Mid-May
- Summer: Mid-January - Mid-August